Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

The drop down mower on my Trot Bilt Xp does not engage -

Customer Question

The drop down mower on my Trot Bilt Xp does not engage - except when the tractor is turned off. It will not engage in proper operation.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Need full model number!

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Electric clutch?

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Any battery problem?

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Electric clutch has to have full 12 volts to operate.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Curtis,
The Model of Troy Bilt is the Horse Hydrostatic Xp witha 46-inch swathe. There is no issue with the battery and I do not know if the clutch is electric. The mower drops down nicely when the tractor is off. I can "feel" the engagement. When the tractor is running and I slip the armature down - it "slides" with no engagement. I can not start the tractor with the mower level in the drop position.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

model number # ***** ??

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Looks like the blades are engaged with lever and a cable that goes to the deck. The lever, on the left fender, attaches to the cable, the cable is mounted on the deck , and has to move the idler on the deck to tighten the belt. Look at the cable on the deck, and see if it moves when you move the lever. ENGINE off!