Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators
19372534

Hank: I have an Onan kw4000 in my 2008 toy hauler. I am the

Customer Question

Good evening Hank:
I have an Onan kw4000 in my 2008 toy hauler.
I am the new owner and am experiencing this problem.
After starting my generater, the unit runs for aproximately ten minutes and stumbles a little bit and the shuts down.
The indicater service light flashes three times which indicates that service is required.
I have checked the obvious including oil level, air filter and altitude setting. All looked good.
I do notice that when the unit is running during that short ten minute duration that it seems like the RPM is very high.
I do know that the oil is synthetic rather than an SAE.
Could that be a problem?
I have not checked the choke to see if it was opened once it was warm. I had not thought of that at the time, however after reading other articles posted that could be a possibility.
The oil is a concern to me. It is a Royal Purple 5-30 synthetic.
I have two Harleys and an Indian motorcycle and would never run this type of oil in them being they are air cool
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, thank you for requesting me.

Could I please get the full model number and serial numbers of the genset, exactly as they are written on the data label?

Also, as you noticed, fault code 3 is merely a service indicator. It also means that a secondary code has been set. Lets see what it is.

Go to the genset and use the switch on the set itself.
Press 'Stop' 3 times within 5 seconds. The light in the switch will start flashing.
If the light flashes 3 times, pauses for 3 seconds, and flashes 3 more times, press and immediately release 'Stop' one more time.

This will put the controller into Fault Read Mode.

The light will flash (X) number of times, pause for 1 second, and flash for (X) number of times again. Count the flashes before and after the pause.

This will be the Fault Code.

Example: 2 rapid flashes, 1 second pause, 5 rapid flashes is a Fault Code 25.

There may be more than one Fault Code stored, so watch the light very carefully. If there is more than one code, it will display them all in order, and then start over again.

Be very careful not to misread a first level fault code (single digit code) as a second level fault code (double digit code).

The way to tell the difference is by the length of the pauses.

There is a 1 second pause between digits of a second level code, and a 3 second pause between codes.

For example, if it is flashing 2 times, 1 second pause, flashing 2 times, 3 second pause and repeating, then this is a second level fault code of 22.

If it is flashing 2 times, 3 second pause, flashing 2 times, 3 second pause and repeating, then this is a first level fault code of 2.

What Fault Code are you getting?

.

Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.

Did you get the model number yet?