Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have an EZ go electric cart. I noticed some battery cables

Customer Question

I have an EZ go electric cart. I noticed some battery cables that were nearly melted. A positive cable on one battery and a negative on another battery. I replaced the cables. I had to unhook all the wires to the switch, FNR and battery indicator. I carefully labeled them so I was sure to put them back where they came from. When I was hooking the wires back to the FNR switch, there was a quick "pop/spark" and now nothing comes on electrically, batteries charge fine but nothing comes on.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

This is the old resistor control cart.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

You have a cable that has melted, at the f/r switch or at the solenoid, and it may be related to the resistors.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sir, to be honest I don't know if I input the correct model number. That model looks like my care. I am not home right now but will be in a couple hours and can give more accurate info
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Check each cable, with voltmeter and by pulling on them, to find any bad connections.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Does cart have the resistor box? I call it a toaster!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will let you know soon
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Foot pedal has micro switches that have to close the solenoid for cart to run.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The melted cables were connected to the batteries
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

OK, looks like with the rain I will be inside!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I believe the model is F 101. Does that sound right? Also, serial number is(###) ###-#### I believe that makes the model year 1997?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

F101 makes it a 2001 model with Curtis controller. TXT , here is a basic diagram, but same problem, the foot swicth has to close the solenoid when you press it.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

See if this fits.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That looks like it to me. When the "spark" happened are you saying the foot switch could have blown?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

It is possible, but I would check the f/r switch first. Do you have battery voltage to the f/r switch? Does it send power to the motor , when it is turned for drive?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I put the voltmeter on the f/r wires, there is no voltage showing up. It shows up at the batteries however. I should have checked that first.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Voltage to f/r switch should come from, the solenoid. Do you have battery voltage to both sides of solenoid?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I test at the battery remaining meter, (next to the f/r switch) I get voltage
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I haven't found the solenoid yet. It just started to rain and I need to push it out of the garage and lift it up with my jack but cant do it now. Also, cant tomorrow. I will have to continue Sunday afternoon. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Solenoid will be just in front of the controller, in the plastic box, under the passenger side seat.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

run/ ow switch might be on the plastic cover. May even be a fuse there. Depends on the exact model.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The plastic box that has the "tow" switch on it? It has four screws holding it on.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I will take the plastic cover off
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

OK, thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have the voltmeter set on direct current. There looks like 3 very small wire into the body of the solenoid, and two very large wires (looks like battery cable) on either side of the solenoid. I checked them all and no voltage.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

THat's a problem, the large wires both should have full battery voltage, at all times.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Trace back in both directions , looking for battery voltage, 36 volts.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was working before this "pop" or spark. Not sure what could've happened. Does the key have to be on or the f/r hooked up to get a reading from the solenoid?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

No, key does not have to be on.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Youre not going to believe this. I traced back one of the large cables that comes off the solenoid, and found the other end just hanging down between the batteries and the body of the cart. Problem is, I don't remember whether it goes to the + or - on the battery?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I feel pretty dang stupid!
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Positive should be correct.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, If I die, my wife will let you know
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

!! Take negative cable off battery pack, install the posiitve cable that is off, then reconnect the negative!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Too late, sorry. I didn't do that. I put the cable on the + terminal of the battery, and I still get no voltage at the solenoid. Not sure where to go from here
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Last posiitive post? What voltage do you get across from this post to the lat negative post on battery pack? Do you get 36 volts?

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

I thought you said the charger worked?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Charger works. I just checked the first (or last battery) + post and - on the battery next to it, which I assume is testing the voltage of all 6 batteries. Reading is 43.5 volts
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

So why does the cable you just installed not have voltage?

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Is the negative battery cable on the B- to controller in place, or did you drop it too?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm in medicine. I know nothing about golf carts. I was hoping you would have an idea about how to answer that question. I will check the integrity of the cable from the battery to the solenoid
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

If nothing at solenoid, there still has to be a break in the circuit.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I found out I hooked the B- cable from the controller to the positive. I changed it over to the neg terminal on the battery and I read 1.8 volts at the solenoid
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Getting there, but have to have 36 volts at both large terminals of the solenoid. One from battery posiitve, other from the B + terminal of the controller.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
B+ from controller is a short cable that hooks in to one side of the solenoid. The other side of the solenoid is the cable I dropped which is now hooked up to the positive side of the battery. Sound right so far?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Yes,. Those are correct.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the B- cable from the controller is hooked up to the negative post on the battery
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Yes.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Back to the snap/crackle when you hooked up the f.r switch? Where did it seem the spark was at? At theF/r switch?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All the battery terminals are tight. Getting 44 volts from the batteries and 2.0 volts at the solenoid. Yes sir, the "pop" happened when I was connecting the wires to the f/r switch
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the pop happened at the switch
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, I bought another f/r switch and hooked up the wires and no electricity anywhere. But, unbeknownst to me, I had a cable or 2 hooked up incorrectly and 1 that was not hooked up at all.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

F/R switch has nothing to do with the power to the solenoid. We need to determine why the solenoid does not have battery voltage.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just checked it and voltage is 2.25 but batteries are charging and the charger is about to turn off showing a full charge.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The cable from the positive post to the solenoid is a little bit loose at the metal end of the cable. The part that is crimped down on the cable, I noticed the wires wiggle a little bit. I suppose that could be the problem
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

You have voltage at one end of cable and not the other? Then cable is bad. But that takes care of one side, now the other!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll replace the cable Sunday. Will be in touch then. Past my bedtime
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, thanks!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I replaced the positive battery cable and no help. I am still getting about 2 volts at the solenoid. There's a break in the circuit somewhere. I'll just have to trace wires to try and determine where it is.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, it's not going to work until you find the voltage loss! Let me know, use the voltmeter and follow the cables.