Briggs-Fan
Briggs-Fan, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  over 15 years experience in small engine repair, multiple certifications
75998144

How do i replace my starter cord?

Customer Question

how do i replace my starter cord?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer. If you have the top off already keep the spoil and spring in the housing , remove the old piece of rope if the know is still in . Next you want to wind the spool and you will feel it start to tension , wind it until it can't and unwind it 1 turn until the hole in the spool lines up with the hole in the housing . Then feed the rope into the housing in through the hole in the spool . You have to hold it in place , at this point get the rope and tie a knot so it can't come back out the spool , now hold the rope and slowly let it pull the rope in winding it up once it's retracted put your handle on the rope and your done

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there is still rope inside and it is wrapped around, how do i remove it?
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Can you get a pair of needle nose pliers and get a piece of it to come out of the spool

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i will try
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

You can use a hook etc. The rope will try come out around the spool , if you can grab it and unwind it off the spool then pull it out from the knot

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it's out. unfortunately, there are 2 metal pieces that came out and will not stay in. the rope will wind, but not recoile
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Are the 2 pieces small ? Those could be the dogs that catchall turn the flywheel. With the rope out , it doesn't put tension on the spring no matter which way you turn it ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
but they will not stay in place. I'm just going to buy a new one.
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Did you remove a piece holding them in ? , I looked for a toro 2421 but it comes up with nothing , is this the model number ?