Joe
Joe, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine inboards and electronics, automotive drivability, all around repair tech,
20508815

Will not run unles chock is on.

Customer Question

will not run unles chock is on.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is Joe and I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.

A choke is an extra butterfly in the throttle bore that restricts air thus providing a more rich mixture to get the engine going and warmed up, when this has to be left on it is a sign that there is not enough fuel, since there is not enough fuel the air must be restricted to allow an mixture that allows it to run, fuel/air. This most commonly is caused by a restriction of fuel to the carb or an actual carb problem. Now there is another possibility, this is too much air and thus not enough fuel, you provide choke which "chokes" off the air supply and it allows it to run, in this case an air leak would be the problem which can be carb base gasket(s) and or cylinder air leak as well.

Thank you!
- Joe

Please rate my answer when ready. Bonuses are appreciated.
If for any reason you are not satisfied please reply back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you. If you have any problems for any reason please reply back and let me know.
Thanks again for using justanswer and have a great day!

If you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.
I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have even if not related.