Briggs-Fan
Briggs-Fan, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  over 15 years experience in small engine repair, multiple certifications
75998144

My 318 is sitting out in the pasture - had a great time

Customer Question

my 318 is sitting out in the pasture - had a great time mowing my campground but on the way back to the house it quit. I thought maybe I overheated it so I let it sit, but it wouldn't start. Then I thought maybe it wasnt' getting gas because it wasn't level, so I tried pushing it to level ground but it wouldn't budge. I jacked it up and put a ramp under it. While doing that, I noticed that the rear wheels would spin, but in opposite directions. This all seems really bad to me! My question is, can I hook a chain to it and pull it back to my house?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is john and welcome to Just Answer. It's normal for the wheels to go in opposite directions when in gear.

Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

It has a hydro so it should have a unlock switch , on the older deere tractors it's near the floor or on the wall of where the sear mounts so facing the back of your legs , that will unlock the rear end

Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

There should be s knob in front of the seat , if you turn it all the way to the right it should disengage the tranny to freewheel. Turn it all the way to the left and it should re engage it .