Briggs-Fan
Briggs-Fan, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  over 15 years experience in small engine repair, multiple certifications
75998144

I have an older Craftsman 7 hp 19 inch dual rotating rear

Customer Question

I have an older Craftsman 7 hp 19 inch dual rotating rear tine tiller and when I am trying to start it, it is very hard to pull start and it kicks back against the recoil pulling it right out of your hand. It does start though after kicking back a few times (worse when trying to start hot) and it runs and operates good.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer. The first thing to check is the flywheel key , it sounds like it's sheared and throwing the timing off . A sheared flywheel key will cause enough back kick that you feel like your arm is going to be yanked out of socket lol . I would check that first