Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a Turf Tracer HP. I was just mowing the lawn when it

Customer Question

I have a Turf Tracer HP. I was just mowing the lawn when it stopped running. Now it won't start. There is plenty of gas in the tank.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

If you remove spark plug and ground it, do you have spark? Is spark plug wet? Is the solenoid in the carburetor clicking when you turn on the key?

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

If wire is off solenoid, or it has lost voltage, it shuts off the main jet in carburetor.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Spark plugs (there are 2) are dry. How do I ground a plug to test for spark? As for solenoid click, I have never heard a click when the engine was in good working order.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

In the carburetor is an electric solenoid,it has to open the main jet in the carburetor , or engine gets no fuel to the cylinders. It should have an audible click when you turn the key on. Listen for the click as you turn key on and off. To check the spark , the metal part of the plug has to be grounded to the metal of the engine, while you crank engine.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is a recoil start engine. The engine manual shows a solenoid valve on electric start models only. Both sparks plugs failed to spark. I'm going to replace them.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

What is the engine make and model? With no spark to either plug, It can be a problem with the kill wire from switch to coils.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Kawasaki FH500V. Plugs are supposed to be Champion RCJ8Y, but one is RCJ7Y and the other is CJ8.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

I doubt plugs will be problem, but get two right ones!