Briggs-Fan
Briggs-Fan, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  over 15 years experience in small engine repair, multiple certifications
75998144

I put too much oil in my Deere 14.5 HP lawnmower and it

Customer Question

I put too much oil in my John Deere 14.5 HP lawnmower and it won't start.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Have you removed the spark plug and spun the engine? Clean the cylinder, clean the spark plug and it should start. I'm assuming the oil got into the cylinder.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not a mechanic. What is a cylinder - where is it and does it have to be removed to be cleaned? And how do I clean it and with what? I notice that the funds, to which I was supposed to agree, have already been removed from my bank account. I'm not real happy about that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh, and "spun the engine"??? What? It is electric start. How does one spin it when it won't start?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

You mean it does not spin engine? I assumed it was turning, but bit starting! If no action from starter, have you found the ignition fuse and checked it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did you read the first part of my question?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Have you checked the fuse?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, I have not checked the fuse! I want to deal with the first part of the question, which is about the oil problem and the cylinder. DID YOU READ the FIRST part of my question?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

It takes 1 1/2 quarts.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I didn't ask that question. You might want to find a different job, because you certainly are not doing this one very well. I will be requesting a refund for the second part of my payment.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Yep to that!

Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answer,

Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

I'm going to try to help you out with your tractor , oil is most likely in the cylinder . The cylinder is where the piston goes up into and if it's loaded with oil it can't go up into the cylinder . Can you locate the spark plug , it should be on the front of the tractor, we need to remove that so we can turn the engine over along with draining some oil out of the crankcase

Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

The reason it isn't turning over I'd because the oil is in the cylinder and it's almost like vapor locked it , you need to remove the spark plug then try to turn it over , that will clean the cylinder because it will push excess oil out of the spark plug hole

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you John! I do know where the spark plug is. An engine will start without it? Wasn't aware that is a possibility. It is night here now, but if you tell me the engine will start without the plug I will try that in the morning. I have drained some oil and will try to get it to drain some more. It is cold here in Maine, so not sure the thickened oil will drain very well. I put in less than half a quart and likely was able to drain some of it when the engine did start and warm it some (before it decided to die).
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

No it won't start but it will push any excess oil out , this is what they call clearing the cylinder . Turn it over a few times with the plug out ,then clean the plug with a rag etc and put it back in , after that if your oil is level then it should turn over ok .