Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

MY OLD 4711 SIMPLICITY TRACTOR STOOPED RUNNING AND WILL NOT

Customer Question

MY OLD 4711 SIMPLICITY TRACTOR STOOPED RUNNING AND WILL NOT START. I NOTICED THAT I CAN SHIFT IT THRU ALL GEARS WITHOUT DEPRESSING THE CLUTCH.
CAN YOU TELL ME WHAT MIGHT BE WROG?
THANKS NICK GARRICK
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  staircaseman replied 1 year ago.

Hello Nick. My name is ***** ***** I have an idea what is wrong, but I can not find information on your tractor to verify it. So I will offer this suggestion, but if it does not work or if it does not apply please let me know (don't rate) and I will opt out of the question and let other experts have a go at it.

I believe that a shifting leaver/ linkage problem (that connects to the transmission) exists and this does not engage the transmission at all, which might also (if the starter is not working) not engage a switch that will allow the starter to work.

Alternately, the linkage problem might exist inside the transmission such that the same problem exists.

I would be interested in what you find. If this works I will reply so that you can rate my answer, but if it does not apply I will open it up to others again.

Steve

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i should check the clutch or transmission linkage underneath tractor to see if it connected?thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i should check the linkage under tractor?

Yes, trace the linkage for both (I am relying on your description only). But it seems to me that the shift lever is the most likely. Look for brackets, or anything that may be loose or missing that would cause them to operate poorly or not at all. If it is one of these (clutch or shift linkage) also look for a switch that would open or close if either was working properly.

From what you describe there seems to be two problems:

1) no gears engage (a mechanical problem) and

2) the engine does not turn over or start. (an electrical problem).

If you can find on line an electrical schematic and a parts list/ detail for your tractor I can be more help. I have tried and found nothing.

Steve

By way of explanation, a mower/ tractor can have a switch for clutch/ transmission, the seat that you sit in, perhaps brake and if a mower deck is involved, the mechanism that turns it on and off. Each switch is activated by the position of the particular part when placed into starting position (Like perhaps neutral for shift lever or depressed for the clutch).

This may help as you try to find the problem.

Steve