Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators
19372534

Hank: I have a generac 16KW standby generator installed

Customer Question

Hello Hank: I have a generac 16KW standby generator installed around 2006 or 2007. Unit model #(###) ###-#### ***** model # ***** ***** In Manual mode, unit starts up and runs at too high a speed. It does this for maybe 90 seconds to 2 minutes. Then it slowly drops to a more normal speed. I first noticed that after several weeks of doing its normal weekly test, the air filter was full of oil and I could see there was a little oil spray coming up through the crank vent. I have read that running at high rpm can force oil up through the crank vent due to high pressure. Strangely, when I was looking things over I noticed a very small stainless steel screw with a spring on the screw shank just laying in the carburetor chamber. Could this screw have come loose from the carb? Is the governor not working the way it should? Thanks for your help! - John H.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, thank you for requesting me.

Could I please get the serial number of the genset?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Hank: Sorry about the delay. My email system DID put your messages in Spam:Model # (###) ###-####Ser. # (###) ###-####The $22.00 additional fee is OK with me
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.

Yeah, I hate those spam folders sometimes.

Without being able to see the screw, it is impossible for me to say where it might have come from.

A screw with a spring on it could have come from a lot of places.

Did you open the carburetor up and actually find it in the carburetor, or did you find it laying in the intake area (on taop of the carb) when you removed the air filter?

If the latter was the case, it is most likely the choke stop, and the choke is not operating properly.

This could also account for the engine speed issue.

Does it only overspeed in MANUAL, or does it also overspeed in AUTO?

When was the last time this unit had a good tune up?

When was the last time you had the gas pressure checked?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Hank: do you need something from me? I got the msg from your website manager that I should have communicated through this website. Fine with me.I will taka a picture of the screw. I did find it in the Intake area, not down in the carb itself. I have not
yet opened the carb. BY tomorrow morning I will test the unit to answer about whether the high speed running occurs in just Manual mode or in Manual and Auto. The gas pressure has not been checked. We had a major remodel of the house done 3 years ago and a new gas line was run to the
unit's location It has run fine in both manual and auto since then and up until my recent discovery of the loose screw( laying on its side on the intake platform), the oil blowing out and the high rpm problem. The engine has not had a carb tune up.I have done this on many small engines, outboards, lawn tractors, etc. It has run so well I didn't want to mess with it. I do change the oil and oil filter, air filter, and I clean out the cabinet compartment. I have sprayed just a little bit of techron carb & injector cleaner just for preventative maintenance. I will take some pictures and send them to you tomorrow morning. Thanks. John.
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.

OK.

Just be advised that I work from 7AM to 7PM tomorrow, and will not be online until about 8PM ET.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry for he delay since my last reply. I forgot we had company coming for dinner this evening. I was locked into a lengthy honey-do list to prepare for this. They just departed. I will get the pictures for you tomorrow. John.
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.

OK

.

Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.

Are you still needing help with this?