Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators
19372534

I have a 15 year old Generac 04109-0 8kw natural gas home

Customer Question

I have a 15 year old Generac 04109-0 8kw natural gas home generator. When in "auto" mode, unit starts and won't stop. Sops in "off" mode. "Manual" mode works ok. When in "off" position, a relay clicks every 10 seconds, corresponding to the start (in auto) of the generator. I have removed the 15A fuse to stop the 10 sec cycling relay.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.

This is usually caused by a blown N1 or N2 fuse in the transfer switch.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
both fuses where blown. It took me a couple weeks to have replacement fuses come in the mail (I bought the last 4 an outfit had - cost me $38 for 4 fuses). I replaced the 2 blown fuses, then went through the procedure to set the exercise timer. Like before, the generator would not shut off. After 15 minutes of running (it usually runs 7 minutes) I shut it off. As soon as I moved it to Auto, it started within 10 seconds. Shut it off again. Pulled the transfer switch fuses - those 5 amp fuses were both blown. So now I'm down to 2 good fuses in my "inventory". I hope you have a next-step for me. Oh, by the way, it's not the controller board. I replaced that before I ever contacted you.
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.

Then you have a short somewhere in the system.

I have seen genset output short to the N1/N2 circuits before.