Briggs-Fan
Briggs-Fan, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  over 15 years experience in small engine repair, multiple certifications
75998144

Replace 5.5hp motor Briggs and Stratten on MTD /shredder

Customer Question

Replace 5.5hp motor Briggs and Stratten on MTD chipper/shredder
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answer, are you looking for a replacement motor or how to change it ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I may need new motor. Now I am trying to get Flywheel separated from the motor. I am trying a pulley puller , but nothing will move.
The motor shaft about 6" is in the flywheel. The end off flywheel has 5/16 hole where 5/16 fine thread bolt has one of the knives attached. Took the knife off, screwed the bolt back in, left 3/4' space and putting pressure on bolt which is screwed into motor shaft.
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Do you have the model type and code on the engine ? I tend to use a 3 legged puller

Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

If you can get me the model type and code I can look at diagrams and get a better idea of what we need to do

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
MTD Model # *****
B&S #126412
Where can I get a new Motor
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

I'm going to find something that will work , I will have to research the shaft length and diameter

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I finally got the flywheel off the engine shaft. The piston frozen up to the cylinder wall, time for new motor.
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Can you measure the shaft from the sump base to the end in length