JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

There is a small spring on the throttle of 54M7 173cc,

Customer Question

There is a small spring on the throttle of 54M7 173cc, listed as item #72 throttle linkage spring & has #71 throttle linkage running through it. It was not connected anywhere when I took air cleaner off. Where should it go?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

The spring actually should attach to the same throttle shaft and governor arm as the link itself is hooked into. Normally if there are no extra holes by the holes in the throttle shaft and governor arm are then the spring attaches into the same holes as where the link is hooked. All that spring does is holds tension on the governor arm and throttle shaft as the holes wear where the linkage hooks into them. The machine will actually perform fine without the spring attached until it gets a lot of wear in the holes where the linkage is hooked.