Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a Deer tractor mower which runs initially only on 1

Customer Question

Hi - I have a John Deer tractor mower which runs initially only on 1 cylinder. However, after about 30 to 45 minutes the engine runs normal on both cylinders.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Twin cylinder Briggs engine. Check it for spark on both cylinders cold. If it has spark, then I would want to check the valve setting on the dead cylinder. .004 to .006 on both intake and exhaust. Can be low compression , how many hours on the engine?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
40 hours on the engine - not sure how to check the valve setting. I'm confused since after some time (30 to 45 minutes) the engine runs normal. How is this possible?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Cylinder warms up and will start firing, not that uncommon. For cylinder to fire, it has to have spark,fuel and compression. So you are missing one of the three!