Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Curtis: I have a Snapper LT125, 23HP, 42in blade riding

Customer Question

Hi Curtis: I have a Snapper LT125, 23HP, 42in blade riding mower. The starter will not turn the engine. I can jump start just fine (as long as am sitting in the seat and brake is engaged). Have replaced the key ignition switch, have replaced the solenoid. These changes have not helped. Am not sure where to go from here. I'd appreciate some ideas. Thanks ahead of time. - Jon
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Is the ignition fuse good between the starter solenoid and the keyswitch? Do you get battery voltage to the starter solenoids switch post when key is turned to start?

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

# ***** is fuse.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I examined the fuse and it looks good. Am not sure about the voltage: but I can jump the solenoid posts, and the engine will start.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a voltmeter or test light to check the fuse? Does it have voltage on both sides of it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, I don't have a voltmeter or test light.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Are you jumping solenoids two large posts? Or are you jumping the positive connection, to the small switch post of solenoid.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Am jumping the two large posts.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Try the posiitve side, to the switch wire, if it does not start, the solenoid is bad,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just to make sure I understand: I should jump the positive post on the solenoid (the one that attaches directly to the positive post on the battery), to the smaller wire on the solenoid? (There are two smaller smaller wires on the solenoid, as it has four posts).
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Correct, positive to the post from the key switch to solenoid.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

This is the same connection the keyswitch should make.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. Will do. It'll take me a little while to do this. Will check back with you in a briefly.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

OK,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well, a funny thing happened. I removed the ignition switch wire, just to make sure I was following the correct line, and then replaced it before the jump. But then I tried starting one more time with the keyed switch, and it started! Maybe when I replaced the solenoid initially, I didn't seat the ignition wire correctly ... ? Anyway, it's running fine now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is, it's starting fine. And it's running fine, too, of course.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. Let me try to be less ambiguous. The first thing I did was to disconnect the ignition wire from the solenoid so as to make sure it was the ignition wire. Then, after making sure it was the correct line (and post), I reconnected the ignition wire to its solenoid post. Then, before trying to do anything else, I tried using the starter key to start the mower, and sure enough the engine turned over and started just fine.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Good job! Please rate to close !

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will do. Thank you for taking the time to work with me through this: it helped me determine what was working properly and what might not be. -Jon
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you!