JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

8 hp troybuilt horse tiller older model. Cannot get the

Customer Question

8 hp troybuilt horse tiller older model. Cannot get the reverse/forward to go in gear. Frozen from setting up for awhile. Where/how to lubricate? Don't want to break anything.
.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

There are two large round pins, one on either side where the engine mounts, the engine mount bracket actually slides up and down on these pins. You can lubricated those pins and see if it will help.

Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

I am including a diagram of the unit so that you can get a better idea of where these are at. You will notice the pin in the upper right of the diagram, it goes down through the engine mount bracket and frame, then the engine bracket slides up and down on it when shifting forward and reverse.

I hope that this helps you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did try to soak some fuel oil around the top of those pins to lubricate them, but so far it hasn't loosened. Will the little nut below the pin let
let me get more oil in!
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

The bolt in the side will allow for a little to get in but that is what actually holds the pin in place. If you remove it then you can drive the pin out and clean it so that everything moves as it should. If I were going to remove them I would do them one at a time. You could also try applying some heat to the engine mounting bracket where the pins go through it, it might help to loosen them.