Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

S. Recently I was given a Murray front engine riding mower

Customer Question

Hello Folks my name is***** I was given a Murray front engine riding mower with a Briggs & Stratton 12.5 engine. A friend who downsized his home & didn't need one so big. He said it stopped starting before he stopped using it.
Before I tried stating it I removed & cleaned out the gas tank & replaced the fuel lines. I also removed the bowl on the carburetor & cleaned it out. After reassembling everything, filling with fresh gas & putting in a good battery I tried to start. I didn't get anything but the running noise from the starter. I removed the air filter & sprayed in carburetor cleaner. It ran briefly I believe only until it used up the cleaner.
Another idea I had was to take the gas line off at the engine & connected my wet/dry vacuum to it & try sucking out a blockage but that didn't work. It seems the gas is not getting to the engine.
Strangely enough my current riding mower does the same thing but eventually runs but roughly & tries to shut off before I've completed mowing. My old one is a Murray with a Briggs & Stratton 12.0 rear engine.
Please let me know if you need any info like the model number(s). Any tips would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Is there fuel filter and pump between the fuel tank and carburetor? Remove fuel line at carburetor and see if you get fuel flowing?

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Has to be fuel not getting to the carburetor or carburetor plugged.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Curtis. Yes there is an inline fuel filter & that was replaced. There is no pump. Gas must be getting at least to the carburetor because when I removed the bowl it was full of gas. I do not know if its leaving the carburetor because my expertise pretty much ends there.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Remove the line at the carburetor and see if you get a full hose of fuel. Bowl may be filling very slowly, thru plugged needle valve passage.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Here is basic Briggs carburetor if you need to go through the carb,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the link. I'll look into the this & hopefully make some headway. Does the engine run for a moment after spraying in the carb cleaner because I'm bypassing the bowl & other mechanics? Is there a method for getting back in touch after going through the carb or do I go through the charge procedure again?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

You can leave question open, and there will be link in email to get back.