Briggs-Fan
Briggs-Fan, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  over 15 years experience in small engine repair, multiple certifications
75998144

I have a MTD Pro Tornado 8 leaf blower and I am unable to

Customer Question

Hi, I have a MTD Pro Tornado 8 leaf blower and I am unable to get it started. I have a couple questions. I saw an online manual that says to "open the fuel shutoff valve". I am not sure where that is located on the machine. I see the chock, the on/off button, and the speed control but not the shutoff valve. Also, when pulling the started cord is the fan supposed to be engaged at that point or is there something I need to do to disengage it to make starting it easier?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer. Yes the fan stays engaged and it should always move . When did it last run was there gas in it from last year ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was my Brother-in-laws and he said it ran about a year and a half ago. I tried starting it last fall with no luck and eventually gave up until trying this year again. I put new gas in it last year when I tried. It most likely has that same gas now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you send me a picture or illustration of where I can find the fuel shutoff valve?
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

I will pull diagrams for you but if it's had gas in it that long the gas is most likely bad , meaning the carburetor will need to be cleaned or rebuilt possibly , does the gas have a varnish or paint thinner smell to it ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not believe it is the gas. The tank was empty when I first put in gas and it did not start then. There is no paint thinner smell to it and it looks pretty clear. I just don't see where the "shutoff valve" is located. I see the on/off switch, I see the choke slide, and I see the "off-Fast-Slow" shift. Is the valve underneath somewhere. It's the only thing I can think of that I haven't been able to check out and if it is currently turned off, that could explain a lot. I suppose it is possible that it may need a new spark plug and I will change that but I would like to confirm it is getting gas in the first place.
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

It doesn't look like you have a shut off valve, if you locate the fuel line at the gas tank and follow it to the carburetor if it had a shut off valve it will be tied in with that line , here is a diagram and it doesn't look to have one . You can also test it by removing the air filter and putting a small amount of gas into the carburetor and see if it will start momentarily

https://www.partstree.com/parts/mtd/blowers-vacuums/f8-mtd-pro-tornado-blower/8hp-engine-and-blower-assembly/

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will try that. I was just looking for the shutoff valve because that's what it mentions in the operators guide. I may not be able to test this until tomorrow. Will I be able to get back to you? How do I do that?
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Booker this page or log back in to just answer and hit reply , don't start a new question or it will charge you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** let you know as soon as I can try your suggestion.
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

OK I will look further into the shut off valve but it will tie into the gas line .