Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Fitted new short engine briggs 12H802. Engine starts fine

Customer Question

Fitted new short engine briggs 12H802. Engine starts fine ,but over revs and will not shut down on goveror. Have set up goveror, as per instructions. Even took off govenor spring. Engine will slow down if goveror is hand opperated.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Vince O. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, are you sure the gov is adjusted properly and the gov spring is installed correctly and the tab it connects to is not bent outward too much? Thr nut was loose and you pushed the gov lever to the wide open position and turn the gov shaft coming out of the engine in the same direction?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
looking down on the engine (carb facing me ) I slackened the arm clamp nut, pushed the carb wide open, then put a socket on the govenor and turned it as far as it would go clockwise, then retightened the clamp to the specified torque. Refitted the govenor spring.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Answer Please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Video Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Vince O. replied 1 year ago.

Loosen the nut, move the lever and link counter clockwise to open the throttle and rotate the shaft in the same direction

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have explained that this is what I have done. Slackened the clamp, pushed the arm to open the carb fully, plcced a socket on the govenor, making sure it was fully turned clockwise, held it firmly,re tightened the clamp.
Expert:  Vince O. replied 1 year ago.

Not clockwise. move both in a counter clockwise direction.