Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Poulan self-prop lawn mower Model 944.383310, ser. #

Customer Question

Poulan self-prop lawn mower Model###-##-#### ***** # ***** The third yr after purchase I discovered with front drive : Left steel driving gear teeth engage into plastic / driven wheel teeth about only 1/4" ,damaging the wheel. Plastic teeth are torn out, consequently left wheel is not driven. The right side steel driving gear is engaging about 1/2" , the right wheel is driven and ok. Therefore, I would have to replace left wheel every two or three years or drive it on one side only. I contacted two service shops , but they do not know what to do with it. Please advise how to fix and correct the problem. Thank you.***@******.***

Category: Small Engine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My phone #****************
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, please answer by email Thank you
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

HI, my name is***** will be assisting you.

It sounds like the bracket that the wheel is mounted on is bent in such a way that it is pulling the wheel away from the pinion or drive gear.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for response. However, I checked many times - Nothing is bend, I never banged it. Everything is line up . The line up was already checked at two service shops as mentioned in my answer to the question "What I have done so far?" Everything is as purchased. The left side shaft with steel driving gear is shorter of about 1/4" than the right side. It looks like the left side of the shaft should be 1/4' longer. Correct me if I am wrong, the driving shaft going through the gear box is in one piece. Therefore even if the whole shaft moved toward the left side it will be shortened on the right side. Can it be manufacturing or assembling defect ? If yes , what to do ?
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

I am not thinking that you hit something, I was thinking that it was bent from the very beginning most likely during shipping. It is possible that there could be a manufacturing issue but I have not seen this to be a major problem and if it were in manufacturing it would be on every machine that is built not just one or two. If the axle moves to one side or the other it would in fact shorten the opposite side so you are correct in that thought.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I just checked everything again. Nothing is bend. The bracket is strong , made from 1/8' steel plate. If bend I would certainly see it. Now I made something not professional , more less Mickey mouse adjustment. I removed one washer from short axle/ pin which is carrying the plastic wheel. This brings the plastic wheel for about 1/8" deeper into the teeth of driving gear. It is still not enough like the other side, but better, and hopefully the wheel will last longer. Further there are two rubber O rings , but if removed it will not work , because it will bring the wheel in contact with dust cover wheel, therefore causing another damage. Please do not take me wrong. If you do not know any better solution, and because you didn't give me any satisfactory solution, I believe that as per advertisement " Satisfaction guaranteed " you should not charge my Visa. If you did, please provide credit. Please confirm by email at***@******.***. Thank you. Any way thank you for your effort. Yours Milan G

Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

I do not have control over charges to your card, however I will forward your request to a moderator who can help you with that.

I am sorry that there is no better solution and removing items from the machine that were designed to be there is not a correct fix. I still believe that there is something bent or warped on the machine that is causing your problem. If it were a washer problem, why would the manufacture put it there to start with.

Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

I have forwarded your request to a moderator who will be getting back in touch with you soon.