JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

What problem could this be. I have kohle sv 735 engine which

Customer Question

What problem could this be. I have kohle sv 735 engine which refuse to start. When I spray starting fluid in the carb it tries to start but does not stay on
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

It sounds like you aren't getting fuel through the carburetor in order for the engine to run. It could be that the fuel pump is not pumping fuel to the carburetor or the fuel solenoid on the bottom of the carburetor is not working/opening or the carburetor jets could be stopped up not allowing fuel to pass through them.

You can remove the fuel line from the fuel pump where it goes over to the carburetor and crank the engine to see if the pump is operating. The other two things would require removal of the carburetor in order to check.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HeyJohn. I'm trying to ask a question but it seems I'm not getting through
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

What can I help you with?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was changing the battery on the craftsman with the kohler engine but the engine will crank without my turning the ignition switch. I changed the ignition switch but didn't solve the problem. Also engine is revving high but when l set the throttle control lever, it smokes and backfires
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

There are only a couple of reasons that the engine might crank without turning the key:

1. Wires crossed up on the starter solenoid.
  2. Starter solenoid is bad.

The engine revving high sounds like a linkage may be stuck or hung. If this were to happen it could cause the engine to smoke and if running way to high rpm would cause backfiring.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oddly enough I did not see a starter solenoid on this machine. One wire from the terminal to the starter. The red. The black connects the machine body as ground. Do I have to install a starter solenoud?
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

This may have a starter mounted solenoid. Are there other connections in the area of where the battery cable attaches?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know for sure the black wire is single from the terminal to the machine body. I will have to check thoroughly to be sure of the red wire
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

I should have been more specific. I am wanting to know about where the battery cable attaches to the engine or solenoid.