Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

My husband's Gravely zero turn mower won't start. It says

Customer Question

My husband's Gravely zero turn mower won't start. It says has the oil light on and say SVC Oil. Is that why it won't start, or are there multiple problems?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

HI, my name is***** will be assisting you.

No, the light being on or the indicator saying svc oil will not keep it from starting. It is a reminder however that the machine has come upon the normally recommend hours to change the oil. This normally will happen at presets times based on manufacture settings, most of the time this is at 50 hour intervals. The system will alert one beginning at like 49 hours and will continue until it turns 51 hours and then again at 99 hours and go off at 101 hours for instance. It is not something that you can change or reset, it is the way that the machine is designed.

What happens when you try to start it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Keep in mind we're not people that know a lot about lawn mower maintenance at all -usually my husband has someone do the routine maintenance for us. The mower makes a little buzzing type noise when you try to turn it on. My husband connected a battery charger to the mower -- he did not remove the battery first though like I think you are supposed to.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Did it make any difference with the charger attached?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The charger says that the battery is 100%
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure what it was doing before the charger was attached - my husband was the one trying to get it working. I'm trying to see if I can get it started for him. It would make his day to be able to mow the yard when he gets home.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

If it is only making a buzzing noise then the battery either has a bad cell in it so that when you put a load on it trying to start the engine it is holding enough amperage to turn the engine over or the starter solenoid is bad which is probably where the buzzing is coming from. I would first have the battery load tested before I went any further into trying to get it to start. One would think that jumping it with a vehicle would start it but if the battery has a bad cell it may not be enough to crank the engine.