JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

Kohler engine model K341S Spec 71343 Engine sputters and

Customer Question

Kohler engine model K341S Spec 71343 Engine sputters and stalls when mowing.The engine ran ok for a couple of months after the following work was done,remove and clean out gas tank,rebuilt carb,replaced all fuel lines,new air filter, gas filter installed in the correct direction and new spark plug.When problem occurs there are a lot of air bubbles in the line that comes out of the fuel pump and then goes to the carb.Some air bubbles in line when not under load but does not stall.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

HI, my name is***** will be assisting you.

By having the air bubbles in the line it sounds like there is a restriction in the fuel system that is not allowing fuel to flow fast enough from the fuel tank. I would check the fuel tank vent which is normally built into the fuel cap. You can do this by just loosening or removing the fuel cap and see if it makes any difference.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi John, yes i tried loosening the cap all the way and it did not make a difference
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

When the engine stalls can you restart it right away? Have you checked spark going to the plug when or while this is happening to see if by chance you are loosing spark?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
engine will restart with choke pulled out a little
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Okay, about the only thing that it could be is the carburetor jetting. If it will restart right away with the choke pulled out this tells me that it is not the ignition system or the fuel pump. I would take the bowl off of the carburetor and check for dirt or trash and make certain that the jets are clean.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I found the problem John, the new tygon fuel line collapsed just slightly in 3 places. I replaced it with regular black fuel line and it runs perfectly fine.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

That's odd that the tygon would collapse but that would explain a lack of fuel possibly causing the engine to not run under a load when it needed the extra fuel.

Thanks for the update it has been a pleasure to assist you.

Please take a moment to rate your experience.