Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Replacing my neighbors trans belt on Cub Cadet GT1554.

Customer Question

Replacing my neighbors trans belt on Cub Cadet GT1554. Looked it up, and the shop gave hime the right belt... MANNN is this thing tight, and I don't have the idler on yet!
Category: Small Engine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I put the belt around the trans pulley first then over the plate and around the engine pulley. Pulled the one side behind the left side guide pulley... and the right run of the belt has its back to the flat guide pulley... The belt is already tight, and the spring loaded idler isn't even in play yet... Not sure there is enough slack for me to feed it into the idler!
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

Can you provide the model and serial number from the tag on the frame of the machine so that I can better assist you? What is the part number of the belt that you are trying to install?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The Cub GT1554 is M# ***** S# ***** The belt has two numbers on the sleeve(###) ###-####and(###) ###-####
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Where the belt goes over the plate and up to the engine, if you will look right about the center of the plate closest to the engine you should see a hole with the head of a bolt just inside the hole. The belt has to straddle this bolt otherwise it will be extremely tight and it will also wear the belt extremely fast if it isn't routed properly.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am assuming you mean the forward bolt holding the steering rack. The right leg of the belt is on the right side of the bolt, and the left leg of the belt travels straight from the left guide pulley to the power pulley (engine).I just tried again, thinking the belt might have relaxed a bit over night.
I took the belt off the left side guide pulley and removed the spring from the idler arm. I was able to get the belt onto the idler pulley, but now its too tight to get back behind the left guide pulley (idler spring is still off!!).Also checked number on belt to confirm, and the belt is stamped(###) ###-#### ***** the diff between 754 and 954?Thanks Dave
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

The 754 and 954 are both the same belt, the 754 is an indicator that is used by MTD to tell them that this was a belt used during production, they then changed the number to 954 to indicate a belt that is being sold at retail. It is only useful to them(MTD) to help determine inventory and production numbers so that they can somewhat know how many are being sold as replacement parts and how many are being used in production. Based on you equipment model and serial numbers this is the correct belt for your machine.

Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

The belt isn't by chance twisted is it? A lot of times when you get these belts they are coiled up and you have to untwist them to stretch them out, if this is not done carefully it can leave a twist in the belt which would cause this problem.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nope, no twists.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

This being a hydro drive the belt will be tight all the time when installed on the machine. The tension never releases on it like it does on a gear drive machine. I don't see anything else that would cause the belt to be so tight unless it is not fitting into the pulleys properly.