JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

I have a JD L130.Three weeks ago the PTO switch burned up.

Customer Question

Hi John, I have a JD L130.Three weeks ago the PTO switch burned up. While mowing, the deck stopped I opened hood the switch was very hot.I pulled plug off, one of the pins had melted,came off the switch and stuck in plug. It melted out of switch.I replaced the switch, noticed that the plug on wiring harness was burnt too. I put new switch in, the machine ran for about a 30 min then the mower deck stopped again. I decided to replace entire wiring harness and switch again. I replaced the harness last weekend.My wife was mowing and ran the mower for about 45 minutes and it stopped dead in the back yard. I found the 20a fuse blown. I replaced it and the mower started fine. I took it out to finish the mowing and pulled PTO switch. Fuse immediately blew. Any suggestions or should I take it to the JD dealer? Sidenote - one extra wire-on same wire line with connection to starter. wire on old harness wasnt connected to anything-im assuming it's for aux. lights. Cant find open pin 4 it
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Hi.

The first thing that I would look for is a problem with the wiring at the electric clutch. Try unplugging the connector that goes to the clutch, start the machine and pull the pto switch on. If it doesn't blow the fuse then you know that the clutch is the problem, then you just need to look at the wiring really close that goes from the connector down to the clutch.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is the clutch at the base of the engine? I'm not sure where to look.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Yes. It will be a wire or set of wires that go down under the frame to the bottom of the engine. The connector should be located top side of the frame right around the engine normally along the right side of the machine if you were standing behind the unit.