JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

I have a JB 7.5kw Onan gen set that burns point in less than

Customer Question

I have a JB 7.5kw Onan gen set that burns point in less than 6-10 hours of use. I replace or cleans the points and everything works great. The starting process uses 12V and then it switches to 6V once the engine starts. I've checked the coil voltage many
times and the switch occurs immediately after the engine starts. I bought this gen set from a guy that had the same problem. The dealer told me that it always burnt points and they could never determine why. I would like to resolve this issue or obtain an
electronic conversion kit. Over the past 3 years I have changed the points and condenser many, many times. With new points the engines runs very smooth and starts easily. When the points go bad the contact surface is blemished but not pitted. Nevertheless
if I clean them everything works fine. Also--during the start sequence with 12V on them I can observe noticeable arcing across the points and when the voltage shifts to 6V the arcing is very minor.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

I believe that you may already have a question that was being worked on with you in regards ***** ***** I have posted additional comments to the original question in addition to some of the things that have been suggested by another expert here.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
JohnI have been out of CO for over a week in NE. I think the response you gave me was to try setting the points at .018 which you said works better in some cases. I have not had to chance to try this but will in the next couple of days at my cabin in the mountains. Once I set the points at .018 it may take 6-10 hours before I can determine if the points are going to burn.I also ask you if you had any other ideas and if you could check with the factory. I also ask if you could tell me if there is an electronic conversion kit for this gen set.Sorry I have not been able to stay in touch the last 8+ days. I really want to get this problem resolved.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My phone number is *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It appears you have been paid. I have not received a satisfactory response and want my money returned.