Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

OIL IN AIR INTAKE ON BRIGGS 23 HP. THE ONLY OIL LEAKING IS

Customer Question

OIL IN AIR INTAKE ON BRIGGS 23 HP.
THE ONLY OIL LEAKING IS FROM THE DIPSTICK GROMMET
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

The engines crankcase vent exits into the air intake. Is it excessive amount? Is oil level over full? Is oil thin from gas contamination?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No fuel. And enough to concern me. Compression 125 on both sides. Could it the reed valve?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

There is no reed valve ,just baffle in the rocker cover. How many hours on engine? Is it getting worse?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
THERE IS SOMETHING THAT LOOKS LIKE A REED. IT IS ON VALVE COVER. THE TUBE ATTACHES TO THIS HOUSING,
FROM THE INTAKE. IT WAS PURCHASE IN 2000.500-700 HOURS, GUESSING. I USE IT FOR DUCK SEASON AND RUN ONLY ABOUT 20 MINUTES EACH DAY.
THIS JUST STARTED 2 WEEKS AGO.LIKE IS SAID NO OIL IN ANY GASKETS. JUST THE GROMMET ON THE DIP STICK.
COULD I BE GETTING AIR FROM THAT, CAUSING BACK PRESSURE?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

The reed is the oil baffle for the vent. The dipstick leak is is also caused by the crankcase pressure. Likely just an o'ring there.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Have you tried it with new oil?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
NO FUEL IN OIL. IT COATED THE BOTTOM TRAY ON THE INTAKE. OIL LEVEL WAS GOOD. NOT COMPLETELY FULL.CAN YOU GIVE ME ANY IDEAS WHAT TO CHECK, BEFORE I START A MAJOR OVERHAUL OR BRING IT IN FOR REPAIR,
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Oil out the vent is caused by high crankcase pressure. Which is from worn rings or valve stems.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Which lets the compression enter the crankcase, which shows up as oil out the vent.