Briggs-Fan
Briggs-Fan, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  over 15 years experience in small engine repair, multiple certifications
75998144

I have a 's lawn tractor 17.5 Kohler engine. It has run

Customer Question

I have a Scott's lawn tractor 17.5 Kohler engine. It has run great for years. I left it out in the Raina few days ago and now it idles very rough. Almost goes dead when you throttle down. When you engage the blades the mower runs great. What could be making it run so rough. I did change and reap the plug, changed air filter, fuel filter and oil, and rebuilt the mower deck.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answer. That thing on the bottom of the bowl is a anti backfire solenoid or a fuel shut off solenoid.

Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

I do think water in the bowl is a real possibility , but try removing the air filter too and starting it , if the air filter is wet it smothers the engine from breathing

Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

It could be the main jet in the carburetor is partially blocked as well

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I changed the air filter along with the prefilter. It wasn't wet before I changed it but there was some water gathered around the wing nut holding it down
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Removing the air filter and starting it didn't change anything, still idles up and down....unless I engage the blade, then it runs fine.
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

That sounds like a partially blocked carb, it will hunt until a load is put on it then smooth out

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will take it off and clean it, as well as drain the tank and clean it out. Thanks
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Do you have the model type and code numbers off the engine ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Only thing I see is the spec no. Ps-27509 and it has a serial number.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It has other stickers on it that's worn off. I have my owners manuals somewhere, or I could probably find info off of JD website
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

OK on the ohv cover or the head it bolts to it will have a model type and code

Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

That info will help me with finding your carburetor so we can pull diagrams , most briggs have a walbro or Nikki carburetor on them , it will say it on the carburetor body and the walbro ones have a brass jet sometimes you have to unscrew etc

Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

We're you able to locate the model type and code of the engine