Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a 17.5 HP Sears Riding mower, Never had a problem in

Customer Question

I have a 17.5 HP Sears Riding mower, Never had a problem in 6 yrs.,until NOW.The mower starts and goes around 1 1/2 times around my 1/2 acre lot and dies off as it is overheating or starving for fuel. I have replaced the Air filter,oil filter, gas filter, the spark plug, the seat switch, the maneto coil and in the process .... putting the top cover back on, I broke the cooling fan blades ( plastic ) on the armature for cooling the engine. But, I have replaced it and made sure everything was on properly and nothing was rubbing before I started it. It started with out any problem as always, BUT went around 1 1/2 times around and GUESS WHAT !!!! It DIED. Does it have some kind of overheating sensor when the Engine gets hot or WHY is this happening ... When everything was so good for so many years. CAN YOU PLEASE HELP> Stan
Category: Small Engine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OH, When it dies at times it just clicks and at other times it cranks but won't catch and starts.I leave it without starting for 45 mins. and then it will start and run but will not go far. Stan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Now, if I leave it overnight the next day will do the same thing..... go like 11/2 times around the yard and die as I have said. I energize the clutch always as I start the Engine, as always not any kind of problem on the clutch side. This thing is driving me up the wall but not crazy as of yet !!!!!! I figured big problems like this probably are just a simple and easy solution which I have overlooked. Now, before I installed the maneto coil it was stopping the same way as after I put in the new coil. I followed all directions on installation and gabbed with filler gaged. I thought this might be help full so I send it to you. Stan
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

In the carburetor is a solenoid. It may be going bad. Listen for the click when you turn on the keyswitch. When it quits on you, turn the switch on and off, listening for the click. No click, no fuel!

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

It can be overheating and shutting off the fuel. If it is acting up, you can remove it from the carb, and cut the tip off, and re-install as a dummy, for test. It is called anti-backfire solenoid, and is used to keep engine from backfiring when key is turned off.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

See picture # ***** .