Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators
19372534

Generator not putting out electricty....gas motor runs

Customer Question

Generator not putting out electricty....gas motor runs great, but no electrical out put...
It is a brand new troybuilt I bought 8 years ago and never even put gas in it until just now
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

8 years is an awful long time for a genset too not be running. They should be exercised monthly. It is a miracle that it even started.

If it is not putting out electricity, here is where you need to start:

1. Remove the spark plug wire – you do not want the engine to start while doing this.

2. Obtain an old extension cord that you can cut one end off, or an old power cord from an appliance (you will need the male end left on the cord).

3. This step not needed.

4. Note how on the receptacle, one slot is longer than the other. This longer slot is the negative slot. It is critical that you get it hooked up correctly.

5. Determine which wire of the cord will go to the negative slot.

6. Connect the negative wire to the negative terminal of a 12V battery.

7. Connect the positive wire to the positive terminal of the battery.

8. Plug the cord into the receptacle and pull the starter cord 6-8 times.

9. Immediately unplug the cord. DO NOT LEAVE THE CORD PLUGGED IN FOR MORE THAN 6 OR 8 SECONDS.

10. Disconnect the wires from the battery.

11. Reconnect the spark plug wire and see if the set is now producing electricity.

If it is not, please let me know and we can troubleshoot further.

.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hank....Thanks for the help....This generator while is old, had never been fired up at all.
I'm guessing on the age, but I have attached a picture of the data plate for your review.I did try your appliance cord technique with the white wire to the negative clamp on a jump box and the brown/ black wire to the positive clamp on jump box.I plugged it into a receptacle on the generator, turn the generator switch on and pulled cord 8 times....I already had u done the spark plug. ..I then unplugged the connection and pit spark plug back on and fired it up. ...plugged in my drill and nothing happened....Any more thoughts?ThanksAllen
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hank....I appreciate your help earlier.
However, it still has not started producing electricity....What other thoughts do you have?ThanksAllen
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.

Sorry. I work 2 day jobs, and help on Just Answer in the evenings.

I am online every day - I just can't be online all day long.

Since that did not work, what is the model number of the genset?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey Hank....no worries, I am new to this service and wasn't sure if my replies had gone through. ...I attached a photo of the data plate for your review...I greatly appreciate your help....
Allen
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.

You didn't need to do all that - you could have just told me the model number.

Here is what I need you to do.

Gain access to the Power Regulator Board (PRB). It is located inside the end cover of the generator, so you will need to remove the cover.

There are 6 wires – 2 go to the brushes (red and white), 2 are the voltage sense wires (green and white), and the other 2 come from the exciter winding (blue and blue).

Disconnect the brush wires. Pay attention to which wire goes to which brush.

Set your meter to ohms, and place one lead to each brush.

What reading do you get?

Make up 2 jumper wires that will attach to the brushes, with a 5A fuse in one of the jumpers.

Connect the fused jumper to the positive (outer) brush and to the positive terminal of a 12V battery.

Connect the other jumper to the negative (inner) brush, but do not connect it to the battery at this time.

Gain access to the exciter wires.

Start the set, and connect the negative jumper to the negative terminal of the battery.

Set your meter to VAC and measure the AC output at the receptacle of the set. It should be a minimum of 60 volts.

Test the voltage across the 2 exciter wires. There should be a minimum of 60VAC.

How much voltage is there?

Set your meter to VDC and test the voltage at the brush wires that come from the PRB. Make sure you connect the positive lead to the positive wire. You should see at least 10VDC.

Disconnect the jumpers from the battery and shut the set down.

How much voltage is there?

.