JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

Won't start, no release pressure from wand when trying to

Customer Question

won't start, no release pressure from wand when trying to start for first time in a year. Put in fresh gas. Doesn't seem to be getting fuel.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

HI, my name is***** will be assisting you.

If it has been a year since the machine was started you may have to prime it in order to get it started. Have you tried removing the air filter and spraying a little carburetor cleaner or fuel into the intake and see if it will start then? You may have to clean the carburetor jets as well especially if it had any fuel left in the carburetor during storage.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not much of a mechanic but I did spray some fuel into the intake. It did not crank. There was no gas left in the tank during the time it was not being used. I filled it up with fresh gas. How would I go about cleaning the carburetor jets?
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

It did not attempt to start or at least fire when sprayed fuel into the intake?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It would fire but just for a second each time I sprayed but that was it.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Okay, this means that you aren't getting fuel through the main jet of the carburetor. Start by removing the bowl from the carburetor, there is one bolt or nut right in the bottom center of the carburetor bowl that will unscrew and the bowl will come off, clean the bowl but also clean the three holes in the nut or bolt that you just removed, these holes serve as the main jet for this carburetor. Once you get them cleaned thoroughly you should be able to reinstall the bowl and nut or bolt and the engine should start and run on its own.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I get to the bowl? It's underneath other parts that I don't see a way to remove. Remember, I'm not a mechanic so this may not work out.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

The easiest way is to remove the air filter assembly, which once that is done you have easy access to the carburetor and the bowl.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm still here, my Mom was admitted to the hospital so I haven't had a chance to continue with the repair of my pressure washer. It will be Monday before I will need more assistance. Hope you're still here to help me when I return.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Yes, you can come back here at any time and continue our conversation. I will be available to answer your questions and try to get your machine back up and operating properly again.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have removed and cleaned the bowl, the bolt and the two holes in the bolt. It still won't start. Any other suggestions that I might try?
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

If you only cleaned two holes then you missed one. There is one tiny small one right down through the top center of that bolt.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've looked, my wife looked and I even looked again thru a magnifying glass and there is no small hole in the top of this bolt. It has a small stamped shape on top shaped like a nail or screw and that's it. There's a hole in the bottom that you haven't mentioned. It's larger than the two on the sides.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

What you are calling the bottom is what I am calling the top. This hole is not to the outside in the hex part of the bolt itself is it? It is actually in the thread part of the bolt, kind of like a hollow bolt right? That is where the third hold is and is may look large at first glance but it tapers to a tiny hole about a third of the size of the other two in the side.

Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

If you run a small needle or thin paper clip through it you can actually see the needle extend down into the other passage between the two larger holes in the side.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have thoroughly cleaned all 3 holes still no success in starting.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Can you provide the model, type or spec and code or serial number from the engine itself? I want to be able to take a look at a parts diagram and see which style choke system you have on the engine. Can you now spray carburetor cleaner into the throat of the carburetor and it run?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
John, it's a Troy-Bilt 2500Max PSi, 2.3 Max GPM
Serial # ***** 0623 58 55295
That's all I could find.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

That doesn't help much other than I can tell from that it is a Briggs engine. Do you have a primer on the machine? Can you tell if the choke plate is closing when the engine is cold?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no primer. Something I have noticed is that the intake isn't opening when I slide the run/stop lever to run. Should it be opening?
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Yes it should. You most likely have a automatic choke on this engine. Can you tell me if the choke is operating or closing when the engine is cold. You can remove the air filter and normally see the choke plate.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
now I've lost the little gasket/washer that goes on the bolt with the holes. I guess I'll give up on fixing this thing. I've gotten frustrated and now I'll have to try and find the correct washer which will be almost impossible.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

It can be frustrating at times, I have been working on small engines and lawn equipment for almost thirty years and sometimes you just have to walk away for a little while. You should be able to get one of those gaskets at any Briggs engine dealer or most any small engine repair shop if you have one in your area.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I guess when I find one I may try again. I might just have to pay somebody to fix the darn thing.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry that I could not be of more assistance for you here.