Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators
19372534

I have an ONAN generator Model & Spec No.

Customer Question

I have an ONAN generator Model & Spec No. 15.OJC-18R1/11917AB. Used as a backup generator. Started every 1-2 months and run under load for 30-45 minutes since year 2000. Suddenly won't start? noticed mice exiting but don't see any chewed wires. Needs an new air filter and possibly more. What air filter and where to get? Also, is there a maintenance/repair manual available?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.

There were 3 different air filters available on this genset. Which one do you have?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hank, I need an operator's manual / repair manual. I was hoping that would provide the air filter info. You say there are three choices- without seeing them or providing a description of each your answer doesn't help me. I don't know what my choices are so how do I specify one?
Here is a description of the one on the generator: The air filter oblong/oval shape aprox 7" x 3 1/2" made of sponge over a sturdy wire mesh. There is no top or bottom cover as part of the filter itself. The top and bottom are provided by the housing the filter fits into. The instructions on the cover provide the following care instructions: "Remove foam element and wash with a suitable solvent. Press out solvent and moisten with crankcase oil. Squeeze out excess oil." I could send you a picture of what I have but this message platform doesn't allow me to do that.
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.

If you have the oval shaped air cleaner, the part number for the replacement element is(###) ###-#### ***** can be ordered through any Onan dealer.

I have uploaded a copy of the operator manual for you.

Click here to download it.

There is no service manual available specific to the JC gensets.

Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.

Did you get the info I sent?