Briggs-Fan
Briggs-Fan, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  over 15 years experience in small engine repair, multiple certifications
75998144

My craftsman lt1000isn't charging the battery like it should

Customer Question

my craftsman lt1000###-##-####isn't charging the battery like it should and seems to not have the start power it should have even after replacing the battery. bad alternator maybe? not sure.
Category: Small Engine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have cleaned the pos & neg power cables that connect to the battery as well. Did that when I added the new battery.
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer . With a new battery it should start ok . The way to test the charging system is to get a digital multimeter and put it on DC volts and check the amperage in the battery by putting the black lead to negative and red to positive , it should read 12.4 volts etc , get the mower running and test again while running and it should be 13.7 to 14.3 volts , if it's higher than it is with the tractor off your charging system is working , if not its the stator , which is located under the flywheel

Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

If the stator is ok it could be the starter

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Battery has tested fine. forgot to mention that. I get 12.58 volts with my tester. There is a 20amp fuse in a black box that is blown as well. Also, took the solenoid off and hooked my alligator clips to it. Gound from neg battery lead to base of solenoid, and then pos pole to both of the side spade poles. Did not hear the solenoid click. Maybe I have bad solenoid now. Also, not sure what the fuse is for. Replacing both of those first to see what is going on unless you think I've tested the solenoid incorrectly.
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

You should have higher than 12.5 when it's running . I would replace the fuse first . Usually a bad solenoid will just click when your trying to start it .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The little black box that ties into the wiring harness between the solenoid and the ignition switch has a 20amp fuse that was out. That is required to be able to start. After retesting, the solenoid is actually good. That little black fuse box was pretty dirty inside as well and was not allowing very good contact. That was the starting issue. As for the not charging my batter well, does that fuse need to be good in order for the batter to recharge from the stator?
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

When that fuse blows you usually have no power to anything , now that it's replaced test the charging system , do your test with the multimeter on the battery before starting and then start it lock the parking brake so you can get off and test it while it's running to make sure it's higher than the reading you got when it wasn't running , if both are 12.5 volts then your stator is bad

Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

That fuse kills juice from the battery to the solenoid etc do it might of affected the charging but I haven't seen it before , usually it kills the juice to everything

Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Is it starting ok now that the fuse is replaced ?