Ranwell1
Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I Own a Lawn Mower Sales and service business (37years). Have 2-cycle and 4-cycle certification.
18770454

I purchased a used Snapper yard cruiser (joystick model)

Customer Question

Hi, I'm Darlene. I purchased a used Snapper yard cruiser (joystick model) last spring. I've had several problems that I've had repaired (blade not engaging - a pulley, drive not engaging - something in the joystick box, muffler replaced). Since getting it back from the muffler replacement, it started dying after running for awhile - it acted like either it was running out of gas or overheating. I'd wait a bit & it would restart. Eventually it kept getting worse, & now won't start at all. Somebody told me it sounds like the fuel filter, & a bad battery??
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Ranwell1 replied 1 year ago.

This actually sounds like the carburetor is dirty and needs to be cleaned and rebuilt. You are not getting enough gas through the carburetor. The battery should not be a problem unless the engine will not turn over with the battery. IF you have a bad battery, then it will not start and run because you need electricity to run the fuel solenoid. ALso just a thought, NEVER EVER JUMP-START a mower because it will ruin the charging system. SO if you have a bad battery, Replace it.