Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a 16hp 2 cyl generac portable 8000K Gen that is

Customer Question

I have a 16hp 2 cyl generac portable 8000K Gen that is pushing out oil from the muffler, carberator. What's the proablem and how easy is it to fix?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Is oil over full from gas contamination?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank U Curtis for answering (attempting to) my question. If I understand your response, the crankcase isn't overfull and there doesn't appear to be any gas in the crackcase. As I started the engine, Smoke billowed fom the exhaust and oil be to drip from (I wasn't sure at first), but from the exhaust primarily. I kept putting in oil trying to keep the engine from seizing. When I frist checked the oil, it was down not realizing where it had gone. It had not been started for 3/4months. Never had this prob before.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

If gas is not thinned from gas contamination, then engine has too much blowby. Oil is pushed out the engine vent tube into the air inlet, or into the cylinders, into the exhaust. Has engine been run low on oil?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
don't understand what "blowby" means. As far as Know the gas may be "old" but not contaminated. Up to this point, the engine has not run on low oil. Are you saying that the contamination is the oil or what?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Oil can get thinned from gas getting into the oil, caused by a leaking carburetor needle valve. Causing the contamination.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Blow by is the compression, getting by the rings. Causing high crankcase pressure, blowing out breather and exhaust.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

I would try changing the oil and running it to test. That might be all it needs!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do I need to clean the carb as well?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

If oil is thin, or smells of gas, yes,clean the carb.