JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

I have 2002 Briggs 16.5. Rod Came Apart, Replaced with

Customer Question

Hello, I have 2002 Briggs 16.5 . Rod Came Apart, Replaced with correct Rod. Whole motor cleaned and carefully put back together. Has good Blue Spark and getting gas, Compression good. Wont fire ,sputter, nothing. Here is the interesting part. When the magnet on the Flywheel meets up with the coil, piston is at the bottom of the cylinder! BTDC ? Motor Has correct original parts. Coil is the facing right direction also. THANKS
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

When you put the engine back together did you align timing marks on the crankshaft and the camshaft? If not that is your problem, the engine is out of time internally.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
on the Timing Marks, What does internally out of time mean? On the flywheel,180 degrees from the magnet there is recess where a magnet could be fitted? Ive been looking at used flywheels online 14.5 15.5 16.5 HP and they all match up with the one I have. Keyway in relation too the fly magnet. Been a mechanic for 40 years Cars- motorcycles,-mowers- ETC . Might you have a co worker with Thoughts on this? Thanks
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

The only other thing that would cause this is if the flywheel key is sheared. On the new electronic ignition coils even if the flywheel key is sheared you will still get spark it will just be out of time there as well. As long as you are sure that the timing marks on the crankshaft and camshaft are lined up correctly then I would check the flywheel key. Those are the only two things that would or could cause the problem you are describing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The timing mark on the crankshaft gear and the camshaft dot mark only affect valve timing. The keyway is fine . This is one for books. How do I get a partial refund ? Thanks
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

There is no other way that you can have the problem that you have presented unless one of the two things are off or wrong.

I will forward your request to a moderator for consideration.