JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

I have a husqravrna tractor with a kohler engine. The engine

Customer Question

I have a husqravrna tractor with a kohler engine . The engine will not turnover . It starts to crank real slow drags a couple times then becomes more faint then stops . Went thru multiple steps I jumped the battery directly to the post on the starter and the engine did the exact same thing no difference. Could this mean it it a bad starter or is it something else
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

HI, my name is***** will be assisting you.

While it could be a starter problem there are a couple other things that you might want to check prior to replacing the starter. Can you tell me if this is a Kohler command or courage engine?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is a courage sv600
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This has been acting like this on and off for several months I first attributed it To dying battery as once I got it started and ran it for 10 or so minutes it would start to crank a little slow but none the less it would start right away This time I charged the battery overnight and it acted the same way before the charge I then bought a new battery and the new battery did nothing different so After doing some reading I decided to jump the battery to the starter and that is where I'm at now since the symptoms are exactly the same by passing the solenoid and wiring so looking for suggestions and what you think is the problem
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

This engine has a mechanical compression release built into the camshaft. If the valve clearances get off to much it will affect the starting of the engine so the first thing that I would check is the valve clearance. You want both valves to be set a .004 inch when the engine is cold. If this is not almost perfect it will cause you problems. If you find that the valves are properly set then I would suggest a possible compression release problem at which point you would end up having to replace the camshaft.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How hard is it and so you have instructions on how to do it I just tinker and would replace the starter or solenoid but now the cam adjustment seems a little difficult
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

You can adjust the valve clearances very easily. You just need to remove the valve cover from the front of the engine, it is held on with seven bolts which normally take a 10mm wrench. Once you have removed it the rocker arms and adjusting nuts will be right in front of you. The adjusting nuts have a small set screw in the center of the them so in order to turn the adjusting nuts you will need to loosen the set screw. Before I would loosen anything I would check the clearance between the valve stem and the rocker are just in case the clearance is okay. You will most likely have to replace the valve cover gasket as it is made of cork and can rarely be reused. I have included a diagram of the valve area to hopefully help you with doing this.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What do I use to measure the clearance
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

You will need a feeler gauge that has a .004 inch gauge in order to adjust or check the clearances. If you don't have one you can purchase them at just about any automotive parts store.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Thank you it has been a pleasure to assist you.

Please take a moment to rate your experience.