Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

My mower has a Kawaski engine and the starter spins but does

Customer Question

My mower has a Kawaski engine and the starter spins but does not engage the flywheel. I tried jumping the battery but when I tired to hook up the cables they sparked and started smoking.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Hello, and thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Did this problem occur suddenly, or gradually, over a period of time?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The last couple of times (the last couple of weeks) I had to jump the battery to start the mower
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for this information. Can you tell if the gear on your starter, is actually meshing with the gear on your flywheel, as it is spinning?

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

These are only troubleshooting questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No the gear on the starter does not come up to mesh with the flywheel it just spins. Also, the last couple of times I used the mower once I started it that morning I had no trouble starting it anytime that day.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Okay.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Have you recently removed your battery?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Today, after I have been having this problem I did swap the battery for a battery from another mower just to see if it might be the battery, put I only did this after the problem came up. I did not remove the battery before having the problem.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for this information. The reason I asked, is because I would like for you to double check, to make sure your battery cables are on the correct posts on your battery. If your cable are crossed, this will cause your starter to spin, but not engage your flywheel.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When the problem started the battery had been connected for over a year and was connected correctly, I didn't disconnect the battery until after the problem started.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

This leads me to believe that your starter is at fault, due to the fact the your starter will spin, but the gear will not rise up and engage your flywheel. You swapped batteries, and that did not make a difference in the performance of your starter.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Please take a look at part number 92210A, in the image I attached for you. This part could be stripped.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I part a third battery (thinking I may have two bad batteries) on the mower since I last talked to you and now the starter does engage but won't spin the flywheel
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for checking. I do believe that part number 92210A, will need to be replaced on your starter.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

I highlighted the part in the image below.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I notice a small amount of smoke coming from the starter when I try to start it now.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Are all of your connections clean and tight? If so, you will very likely need to either rebuild your starter, or replace it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cleaned and tighten all the connections
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

I would like to suggest that you get your starter tested.