JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

I have a older snapper mower given to me. It is a commercial

Customer Question

I have a older snapper mower given to me. It is a commercial gxv160 and it in excellent shape apart from the fact it won't start. I have replaced the spark plug and all other servicing appears to have been done.
I did not see a spark, there is gas in the carb - what do i do next?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

Try removing the air filter and spraying a little carburetor cleaner or fuel directly into the throat of the carburetor and see if the engine will start and run until it burns that off. If it does then we know that you aren't getting fuel through the main jet of the carburetor and the carburetor will need to be removed and the jets thoroughly cleaned.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I already know there is no spark
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry I did not notice that information as I was reading your question, I must have overlooked it.

If you have no spark, then I would remove the pull start assembly and fuel tank from the top of the engine and unplug the small wire that goes to the ignition coil and then recheck for spark, if you have spark with that wire unplug then you know that your problem is backwards in the wiring but if you still have no spark with it unplugged then the ignition coil is bad and would have to be replaced.