Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

I have a 2013 Craftsman Lawn Tractor, LT2000,Model

Customer Question

I have a 2013 Craftsman Lawn Tractor, LT2000,Model #247.288841, 42" Deck. I am replacing Part #738-0919A(Steering Shaft) and Part #631-04028(Steering Wheel{Craftsman Logo} How do I get the current steering wheel off the steering shaft I'm replacing? I noticed there are grooves in the end of the Steering Shaft; can I tap the steering Wheel off from the shaft, or what? Also, when I install the new shaft do I need to align the grooves of the new steering wheel with the new shaft grooves and tap it on; and can I use a lubricant to help the process?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Hello, and thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Please take a look at the image below.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

After your remove the bolt and washer, that secures your steering wheel, to your steering shaft, you can use a rubber mallet to tap up on your steering wheel.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

There are splines on your steering shaft, and your steering wheel. Just in case some rust is on the splines, it will be great if you use a lubricant, or penetrating oil.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

You will not have to re-align your splines during re-assembly. We can continue from here. Thanks!