JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

I have a seven month old mower with a model00 engine that

Customer Question

I have a seven month old mower with a model(###) ###-####00 engine that won't start. It is a electrical problem. I had it brought back to the shop and they replaced the battery, two months ago. It quit again about three weeks ago. I have been charging the battery before use so I can use it. I used it today, it started right up, I stopped to pick something up and it won't restart. I pushed it back to the garage and charged it for six hours and all I get is a click. I don't want to bring it back to the dealer because he didn't fix it the first time. Thoughts?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

The first thing that I would look at is the wiring connections on the machine, then I would check the charging system on the engine to make sure that it is working. If it is that new of a machine, the dealer should repair it under warranty for you, but I do understand your hesitation to take it back to them if they didn't fix it the first time. I can definitely walk you through some test if you want. What engine do you have on the machine?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Briggs Straton model(###) ###-####00
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Have you done any checks on the machine other than charging the battery? Do you have a volt meter?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no. My neighbor probably does. I had been charging it and it had been starting and it held a charge for a week. Once it gets going it runs fine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

So if you start the machine and run it for a while, then shut if off will it start back up right away without jumping?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It did that before but not today. Now it won't start, just click
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

You have one of two things happening, either the battery has a bad cell and is not holding a charge or the charging system is not working properly in order to keep the battery charged. I would start by making sure that the battery is fully charged and then have it load tested, if that checks out good then I would check the charging system. If you can get the mower started and you have a volt meter available I can help you with testing the charging system.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I charged it for six hours and click is it.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Six hours at how many amps?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
said 12
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

I would recommend load testing the battery. If you can get a volt meter I can help you do that.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
all right give me ten
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

No problem, just let me know when you are ready.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I turned the lights on and they are bright.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there is electricity there.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Yes, but it may not be enough to start the machine that is the reason we want to load test the battery.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I can't get it started what do I do?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when it died before there were no lights
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no volt meter
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Most likely due to completely dead battery, since you have charged it now it may have enough voltage to operate the lights but not enough to crank the engine.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do I pull it and bring it to like auto zone to check it out
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

If you can acquire a volt meter. Touch the red test lead to the positive on the battery and the black test lead to the negative on the battery, Set your meter to VDC and note the voltage, then turn the ignition key to start the mower and note the voltage on the meter while the key is in the start position and see what it shows. If it drops below 8.5VDC with key in start position then the battery is too low and will most likely need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when I brought it to the dealer they said it was the battery and replaced it. So it makes wonder if it really something different
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

It is very possible that there is a problem with the charging system especially since this is not the first time this has happened. Since the machine is still only seven months old is can be repaired under the manufacture warranty however they(the dealer) has to take the time to troubleshoot the real problem and not just say it is the battery again. Again, with a volt meter we could do some test to verify what the problem is prior to sending it in for repairs if it come to that.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tea well to get a volt meter I got to go to the store so I will take the battery with me, can't hurt. I'll be gone 40 minutes.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Yes, if the battery is fully charged you can take it to just about any auto parts store and they can load test it for you, most places won't charge to do that.

Just let me know when you are ready to continue and I can walk you through testing the charging system.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Battery is fine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Okay, then we can continue to check the charging system if you have a volt meter and want to do so.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
f**k me. I didn't buy one because the battery was good
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

If the battery checked good then it should crank the engine now. Have you installed the battery back on the machine and tried to start it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yea no start
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Still just get a click?

Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

See what happens if you cross the solenoid with a screwdriver. Does the engine crank over then?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Explain that
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Take a screwdriver and touch across the two large post on the solenoid. It will spark when you first touch it but by doing this we are bypassing the rest of the start system.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hate to be stupid but where might it br
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Looks like it is mounted just under the battery, if you follow the positive cable from the battery down you will find it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That means removing the battery again and it will disconnected
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pull wheel underneath
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

We need to keep the battery connected when doing this otherwise this will not work. Can you not get to it without moving the battery?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well.if it is under the battery no. Steel plate between mower deck and battery
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a set of jumper cables?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They are coming to pick it up. How do I end this. I don't want to be spending $18/month forever. I do appreciate your help though.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Unless you signed up for a subscription there is no recurring charge. If you did sign up for a subscription then you will want to make sure to cancel the subscription.

I am sorry that we could not get your problem totally solved but it does sound like you have a deeper problem more than just a battery.

Please take a moment to rate your experience.