JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

Snapper rear engine, motor runs only with clutch pedal

Customer Question

Snapper rear engine, motor runs only with clutch pedal pressed!!
It has been hard to start, had a complete tuneup rebuilt carburetor by snapper dealer
two weeks ago.
When motor was hard to start it was like something was not connecting.
Sometimes the motor will chug when pedal not depressed.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer. , when the clutch pedal is released does it die like it's loosing spark or struggle and die like the governor is not picking up rpms ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I never saw an answer to my question!!
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Hi I asked you when tell clutch is released does it just die like it's been turned off or does it bog down ? . I never got a response from you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The chat crapped out you were not able to see my responses!!note: "Sometimes the motor will chug when pedal not depressed."Sometimes the motor will fire like once per revolution ie. "chug" so it does not just die.Not always!!
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

OK , with it off , if you engage the blade can you see if it's putting significant tension on the belt. ? Also does it run smoothly because a carburetor with a minimal blockage can affect the governor picking up speed under a load

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
with it it off" with what off?? This has nothing to do with the blade. In neutral the motor runs fine with the clutch/brake pedal depressed, the motor dies or barely runs with the pedal released!!
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

OK , so what you have said it sounds like it will do this with the blades engaged or dis engaged, in neutral or drive right ? , does the motor run smooth normally because it sounds like once there is tension on the drive belt ( pedal released) the engine dies because of the load , meaning the governor isn't increasing rpms as it should to keep the motor running

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
once there is tension on the drive belt" you obviously do not know what you are talking about!!
"once there is tension on the drive belt" This was listed as a Snapper mower you probable are great with small motors
but do not know anything about Snappers. You should not have picked up my question.Oh there is no "drive belt"!! How do I get my money back??
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is***** will try to assist you.

Does the engine stall or die as soon as you release out on the clutch? This could be a seat safety switch issue that is causing your problem.

Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

If you keep the clutch pedal depressed and try to engage the mower deck what happens? Will the mower deck come on and run or does the engine stall or die as well?