Joe
Joe, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine inboards and electronics, automotive drivability, all around repair tech,
20508815

I have a onan 5.5 hgjab-1038a gen set. It tries to start but

Customer Question

Hi, I have a onan 5.5 hgjab-1038a gen set. It tries to start but then shuts down. It's getting fuel, it appears to have spark because it tries to start. I've checked the codes and it has a "32" blink. I've checked/tightened the wiring that I can access. Could this be the control box acting up?? Don't want to by something I don't need.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is Joe and I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.

Does it start if you continue to hold the start button?

I am just seeing if you still need assistance with this problem? The reason I ask is because I see that your question has not been answered sooner and I wanted to make sure if you still needed help.

In some cases a question may sit due to several different reasons. My objective that I wish is to make sure that if you still need help that I can at the very least reach out to you and attempt to help you.

At this time please feel free when you are ready to reply back to me and ask to continue working with me, another expert or if you no longer need help please just let me know exactly what you wish to do.

If you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.
I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have even if not related.

Thanks,
Joe

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is what I have done; Cleaned carb, blew out all jets, etc. When carb on unit has gas drain from drain port. Checked low oil switch, appears to be right, NC/NO. Valve on carb has voltage to it/ appears to work like it should. Can I bypass the ign. shutoff to see if the module is causing the unit to shut down. I will see if it runs with holding the start/stop switch, haven't tried that yet.
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

It'll ground the ignition system and cut off the fuel on the carb, you can test the carb solenoid by supplying 12v to it and it will "click" . I doubt it is the fuel solenoid since it tries/does start and then stalls.

Thanks,

Joe

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tried to hold start button down, does the same thing. Checked the solenoid, it "clicks" also you can blow air thru it when you do this.
Out of curiosity I put a mirror and flashlight, so I can see the rotor on the generator. It's not turning, not sure if the belt is broken or rotor locked. Will have to remove the assy from the RV to check this. Would this cause a shutdown?? Like I said before it seems like low oil psi/ over voltage/etc. the way it's acting. The manual I have states noting about this?????
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

Out of curiosity, have you tested the battery(s) and checked the oil level?

Thanks,

Joe

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
oil level is good, had batteries load tested. Also checked connections @ set to make sure they are tight, no corrosion etc.
I believe the voltage was around 11.5 at the + when cranking the unit. It appears to spin fast enough. What I was wondering, will this prevent the engine from running??( the generator not turning) Like I said the manual I have doesn't address this, it states to only
check connections/wiring for tightness.
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

For now I am going to step out of this question and hopefully another expert can assist you.

Thanks,

Joe

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still my question is what do I look for a Blink "32" code on this unit????
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still having problems with unit help???
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What do i look for ???