Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

What is the correct arrangement of the wire attachments

Customer Question

what is the correct arrangement of the wire attachments for an ignition module on a JD LX172?I keep blowing a fuse on the inward fuse on the module.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Here is schematic

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

and here

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have replaced a fuse and checked the wire connection sequence but I don't get the engine to turn over. The ignition light comes on when I turn the key. I have disconnected the the kill switch wires and still no turn over when activating the key. Battery appears to be charged.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Engine started with charger on but stopped when blades were engaged. Are there more than one kill switch to shut off the mower? One switch is located beneath the seat. Where would another kill switch be located. Why would I need to have a charger on when this is a new battery? Could the ignition switch module still be involved?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Battery may not be good! Do you have a voltmeter to check it? Engine has a fuel solenoid in the carburetor that will kill engine if it does not have 12 volts.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Volts read 13.93.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

At battery? Any change when key is turned to start?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Volts read 12.77 when key is activated and engine started. I still wonder about a kill switch. This morning I disconnected the wires at the electronic module. Maybe I had better do that again?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

It has kill switches at seat, and brake, and pto switch.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mine has a kill switch at the seat and clutch. I don't know where the power take off switch is located.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

the pto switch in the dash to turn the blades on.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll have to explore that one in the morning. It's late. But I understand that really only two kill switches are playing a part in the killing of the engine and that the switch to activate the mower may be malfunctjioning.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

OK< let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Every time I engage the power take off switch the engine will quite. How can I test that switch? It's hard to get to!
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Switch comes out the top of dash, it prys out from both ends, but did you check the seat switch and harness?

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

The run circuit is not complete, and the mower thinks there is no one in the seat.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have removed the pto switch. An Oms check indicates no connection on contact blades so I have ordered another switch in hopes that I don't have additional problems. The part should arrive on Tuesday.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The new switch has now been installed but the engine still grounds out when I engage the PTO! Must be another problem along with the defective switch. Any ideas??? Ignition key area?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thge engi9ne also shutsm down when I shift gears.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Did you look at the first link I sent on the ignition system? You have seat switch, brake switch, neutral switch and a relay/

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

The K1 relay may be the problem!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I looked at the seat switch--which has been disconnected. I have to have the clutch depressed to start the engine so I thought that was the kill switch rather than the brake. The engine starts when it is in neutral.The K1 relay must be on the ignition board as near as I can tell from the schematic you sent me. Is that right? Will I need to replace the entire board?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Is seat switch bypassed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The engine starts ;and runs but stops when I activate the PTO or attempt to put it in gear.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

The relay is part of the module.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The igintion module??
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

yes ,ignition module..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wow, I just replaced that little one the 5th of August. Just to b e certain that I have the correct item in mind--is this the module located on the side of the engine and not associated with the key switch and electronic board that it is attached. You are talking about the ignition relay not the ignition module that I have recently replaced.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

What did you replace? Only one I see for LX172 it the key switch module.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Side of engine sounds like voltage regulator!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The ignition module connected to the coil is the one I replaced.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

That has nothing to do with engine safety switches,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have just installed a new ignition switch board. Started the engine and shifted into 1st gear but did not release the clutch--engine stopped. Started engine and engaged PTO --engine stopped. Started engine - engaged PTO and placed tractor into 1st gear --blades moved -- tractor moved _1foot and engine stopped with a backfire. So far I have invested about $150 and no success. What do you suggest now?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Engine has an electric solenoid in the carburetor. It has to have 12 volts and has to stay open. Could it be closing? Do you have t jump start or use charger?