JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

LT-165 sticker on the rear wheel gearbox. Rear wheels wont

Customer Question

White LT-165 (###) ###-####sticker on the rear wheel gearbox. Rear wheels wont move or release un started. On jack stands the wheels rotate freely but in opposite directions, one rotates forward and the other one in reverse. What could this be?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

Have you checked the brake assembly on the side of the transmission? It sounds like the brakes may not be releasing properly so that it is keeping the machine from rolling. When the wheels are off of the ground if the machine is in gear or the brakes stuck the wheels will spin opposite directions this is just the differential allowing that to happen.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I do that
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

If you look up under the rear of the machine normally along the right side of the transmission you will see the brake assembly mounted there. Just make sure that the lever there is loose, that it is not stuck in place.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its loose
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Can you drive the machine if you start it and try to move?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no it needs a battery
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Has the machine been sitting for a long time and not used?

Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

When trying to roll the machine did you have the hydro released?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it has been sitting probably a long time.
The Hydro released? I'm not really shure. The shift was In neutral and the park brake was released but the wheels would not move.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Just under the left side edge of the seat there is a lever that will need to be moved or latched in order to release the hydro otherwise you will have an extremely hard time pushing or moving the machine without starting it. Can you check to make sure that this lever is latched in position so that you can roll the machine.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have moved the lever in both directions but it wont allow the wheels to move
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Can you tell if the lever on the transmission is moving when you operate the release lever by the seat? It could be that the lever is not moving on the transmission. If you can determine that is moving for sure then the only other thing that would keep this machine from rolling is the brake has to be stuck.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will work with it
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

If you can get the machine started and running you may be able to get it moving without too much effort. Sometimes when they sit for a while the brake disc will get rusty and then it will stick or get tight, once you get it moving it will work normal with no problems.