Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a k241 Kohler 10 hp engine that runs fine at a idle

Customer Question

I have a k241 Kohler 10 hp engine that runs fine at a idle but will run for just a little while at full idle just like it runs out of fuel new carb new points new coil new condenser new wire from coil to plug new spark plug I am buffaloed I have been a mechanic for over 40 years and never had something like this stump me
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

Does this engine have a fuel pump on it? Have you check fuel level in the bowl when it dies to see if there is even any fuel in the bowl?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no fuel pump it has fuel in carb when it dies I have checked this several times and their is always fuel in the bowl
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Approximately how long will it run at full throttle before it dies? Have you checked the fuel tank vent to make sure that you are not creating a vacuum inside the fuel tank that would cause fuel to not flow fast enough to keep the engine running?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
once it starts dying its less than a minute it starts right back up and runs at idle rev it up and in just a few seconds it dies again I have checked cap and tank both ok nothing in tank and vent is not plugged causing a vaccum
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

It just sounds like you have a fuel restriction but based on everything that you say that you have already done I don't see how that could be.

Can you put a spark tester in line between the plug wire and spark plug and see what the spark is doing while the engine is running? It is possible that the spark is not advancing properly at higher throttle, maybe a weak ignition coil.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have checked spark and it is good I thought the same thing and replaced the coil still have the same problem
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

To your knowledge has the engine been taken apart recently and put back together, a chance that the internal timing marks were not lined back up correctly when installing or putting back together?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the engine has never been apart
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
even if that was the case why would it start and run to begin with
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

If it were one tooth off on internal timing it would still start but at higher speeds the valves would be off time just enough that they would not close fast enough. At slow speeds or idle it isn't as much of a problem.

I am going to opt out of your question which will allow for one of the other experts here to weigh in on your question and maybe provided some other ideas for you.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Have you tried to run it out of a raised fuel container? Sounds like the fuel is not keeping up with the needed supply.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fuel tank is mounted above engine and has good flow of fuel coming out of tank
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Exhaust open? Engine has to loose spark or fuel. with it starting right back up, would seem to be fuel! That means the restriction is in the fuel supply or the needle valve and float.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
New carb have rechecked float setting and needle valve still does the same thing thanks for all your suggestions but I still have a problem sorry to have wasted your time and my money
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if exhaust was open I would think compression would be down and its not
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

exhaust will not affect compression!

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

If anything, it will raise the compression!

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

If exhaust does not get out ,gas can't get in.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if a exhaust vale is burnt or open it will very much effect your compression on any engine I ever worked on and I have been mechanic for over 40 years on lawnmowers chainsaw cars trucks and heavy equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

That is not the point, the exhaust port would be plugged with carbon, not a bad valve!

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Or the exhaust pipe.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
exhaust port and pipe are both open if they were plugged my problem would have all ready been solved because I checked that from the start
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

OK, I cant add anything, I will opt out. sorry.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will try to figure this out I have not learned any thing more than what I all ready tried and done thanks for trying to help though