Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Have xp horse troy bilt riding lawnmower....stopped riding

Customer Question

have xp horse troy bilt riding lawnmower....stopped riding it now mower wont start...poured gas into spark plug ...it runs for a second.... took carb off and cleaned but not dirty...the bowl has some electrical coil on bottom that has a pin....wondering if this malfunctions can this keep carb from getting gas
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

The solenoid in the carburetor has to open the main jet. It should open the jet as soon as the key is turned on. It has to have 12 volts to open.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I checked the solenoid voltage and solenoid ...it was good, but my lawnmower still will not start. I can squirt gas into carb and it starts for a second or two. Before this I cut some new gaskets from sheet for carb. Stumped still.B
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

It has to be at the carburetor. The solenoid is known to check good, but not retract. Is the float bowl full of fuel?

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

If bowl is not filling, the needle valve and float are not letting fuel in. If bowl is full, the main jet is not open. Which would besolenoid or the main jet is plugged.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

What is the engine model number? You say you made gasket?

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Could gasket be plugging hole?