Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a Craftsman 20 HP Lawn tractor model # 917.272246.

Customer Question

I have a Craftsman 20 HP Lawn tractor model ####-##-#### When it failed to start, I determined it was the solenoid. While waiting for the correct solenoid, I wired the tractor so that I could run it without the solenoid. After several hours, the tractor stopped and the electrical system is dead, not even the lights work. The diagram on page 33 shows only one fuse in the system. The diagram on page 34 shows a second connection coming off the positive wire to the starter. I have replaced the fuse and intend to replace the connection shown on page 34. Are there any other vulnerable areas in the electrical system that would render the entire electrical system dead?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Charging system can be attached to the solenoid. If charging system has not been working, battery may be dead.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Are you checking with a voltmeter? Power for the dash is the wire from solenoid with the fuse. Nothing else!