Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

My 44Q700 Briggs engine has acquired a strange oil leak. It

Customer Question

My 44Q700 Briggs engine has acquired a strange oil leak. It will run indefinitely without seeming to leak at all, but when it's shut down, a small stream will within 10 seconds start running down the right side of the block - seemingly behind the starter somewhere, maybe coming from higher up. I've removed the engine cover, and gained little access to pinpoint the root source of the leak. So I began to remove the starter to look up and behind it - one of the torx drive screws holding it to the block is right behind the pinion gear - I can't seem to get anything on it. Do I need to remove the pinion gear from the starter shaft before assembly can be removed?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

You should be able to move the starter pinion up, with a screwdriver, to clear the bolt.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well OK. I've tried that. With pinion up and clutch turned so flat side is in line, 3/8 dr extension and torx bit still wont fit in there. but we'll try again I guess.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Got a 1/4 inch drive?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will have to find the right bit to fit a 1/4 dr socket and try.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any ideas what would be causing this unusual oil leakage at shutdown?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

No, but you may want to remove the flywheel instead of starter.